Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Eleven days left in Ladakh

17 Oct
Another cold morning (5*C in my room, colder outside; at 9 it is up to 6 in my room but 14 in the "greenhouse" -- much nicer!, 4PM: 25 in greenhouse, 9 in my room). Khardung La covered with snow coming in and out of the clouds and mostly blue sky overhead.
Yesterday I made my last financial donation (required by HELP) by purchasing a B&W HP Laserjet printer for the teachers to use in the staff room. I also went to town and purchased the futbols that Ian wanted me to donate to various schools. I think the 10 are all that we're left in town. I will start distributing the today. Will give some to the children in the boy and girl hostel at LMSS and a couple to the small poorer government middle school across the street.

Also bought myself a pair of warm yak wool socks and a wool balaclava type hat. Right now all my warm socks Lycra hat are drying on the line.

Yesterday morning as I was checking email in the staff room before assembly the 11 nonmed students came and asked me to " do an extra class" during the assembly. Extra classes at this time seem to be common, especially with formal assessments coming and teachers trying to finish the syllabus. I said sure, even thought I had nothing planned and headed down to the class. On the way I ran into Mam Rigzen (chem teacher) on her way to teach the extra class. She said she wanted to, so I said sure and took a seat in the back. There was a discussion in Ladakhi between the students and her and she said, " you teach it". OK. Turns out they wanted me to teach about hybrid orbitals and pi and sigma bonding- something way beyond anything we teach in chem, even in SL IB. So, I had to think quickly. Ended up having the students teach each other while I asked questions to push things along (they did a great job and I was amazed at the bonding diagrams they drew-obviously memorized) and Mam Rigzen watched. Turned out well and I did not come across looking too dumb! I feel as if being asked was a big step though- obviously there is something the students like about the different approach to teaching.

Finished the day with an arrangement to teach the 11 med physics and used it to go back to the kinesiology lesson that was interrupted by the tea party Thursday. Started talking about endoskeletons and ended up mostly talking (with lots of questions) about my various knee surgeries and cartilage, ligaments, etc.

 After school today took a walk in the cool fall air and fall colors 30 min up to the gompa above Gompa village on the roads and paths above the house. Following students in school uniforms walking their cows and ztos (cow/yak mix) home from the fields for the night. On the way home, ran into one of my students washing his school uniform in the stream by his house- of course had to stop in for a cup of tea. On the way home, watched the spectacular pastel sunset over Stok Kangri and other peaks to the south.

Have been trying to get in touch with my friend, Nuri Sherpa-a trekking guide in Nepal, for 2 weeks by email to see if he received Pandie and my passport copies for getting our trek permits. Finally, after about 10 attempts, was able to call today. Although the connection was pretty poor I was able to verify that permits are taken care of and that we will be able to get a ride to the start of the trek. A bit of a relief, and now I will just need to get in touch when I arrive in Kathmandu in 12 days!

Actually, I think I now have almost all of my reservations and accommodations taken care of for the rest of the trip. The only ones not done are what I will do after Annapurna-probably find a guesthouse and hang out in Pokhara- and reservations for the Tiger Sanctuary, but the sanctuary is closed until Nov 15 and Karam (naturalist and motel owner in Ramnagar) will take care of those for me.

18 Oct
Another last minute scheduling idiosyncrasy: this week (actually, I think until I leave) is Formal Assessments for K-8 students and as I understood  a half day test every other day with a day to study in between. I also was led to believe that 9-12 would be normal schedule, especially since the 11-12 teachers are all trying to complete. The syllabus before their exams. Got to school this morning to discover no assembly and a half day schedule for everyone (apparently due to the buses). I have been told that there is an alternative "timetable" for 9-12, with shorter classes, but have not seen it..... I'm not really certain if I have anymore classes to teach because the classes I was teaching were the "extra" science classes and I think they may not be happening anymore. Hopefully someone will fill me in before too long....?

Today is a beautiful cold clear morning with the Stok mountains glistening in their new snow and sun. Last night was cold enough to freeze the water in some of the pipes. Luckily, my bathroom stayed working. As soon as the sun came out they thawed, which is good because I really don't want to have to start using the outhouse at night. I did my duty (dooty?) in AK!

No comments:

Post a Comment